Fountain is the podcasting app that pays you.
Whether you’re listening to podcasts, creating clips from your favorite shows, or hosting a podcast of your own, anyone can stack sats on Fountain.
To get started, set up an account with your email address.
Once you’ve created an account, there are a few different ways in which you can stack sats:
- Listening to podcasts
- Interacting with podcasts
- Creating your own podcast
- Referring new users to Fountain
Let’s explore each option below.
Listening to Podcasts
The fastest way to start stacking sats on Fountain is to simply listen to your favorite show. Right away, you’ll start stacking sats each minute you listen for up to an hour per day.
The amount you earn is random, so you should expect to earn different amounts on different days.
In addition, you can also stack sats on Fountain for listening to promoted content.
Promoted episodes and clips have been paid for by podcasters and advertisers, but unlike a traditional ad, the money they paid for the ad goes back to you, the listener.
Promoted content will show up right on your homepage, and you’ll earn whatever the advertisers and podcasters have spent to promote their content, minus a small cut for Fountain.
Interacting With Podcasts
Another way to stack sats on Fountain is by creating clips from your favorite shows and sharing comments.
Anyone can create a clip of any show using Fountain’s in-app clipping feature, and anyone can comment on any episode of any show. When other Fountain users ‘like’ your clips and comments, you’ll stacks sats.
By default, each ‘like’ is worth 10 sats, but Fountain users can change their default rate in their settings.
This is a great way to venture into content creation without having to set up your own podcast from scratch. By curating and commenting on the most interesting highlights from other shows, you can stack sats for your time and effort.
Creating a Podcast
Another great way to stack sats on Fountain is to create a podcast or contribute to a podcast as a guest or producer.
First, you’ll need to make sure the podcast you’re creating or contributing to is Lightning enabled, meaning that it is able to receive sats from listeners. To do this:
- Search for your show on the Podcasts tab in the Fountain app
- Press the Lightning icon on your show page
- Select Claim Podcast
Fountain has a detailed guide here with more info for anyone who wants to set up their show to stack sats.
Because Fountain is built on the principles of the Value for Value movement, listeners can choose to reward valuable content with value of their own (typically in the form of sats and messages).
This means that as a podcaster, you can earn directly from your audience as they enjoy your content. In theory, there is no limit to how much one can earn by creating a podcast on Fountain. Several podcasters have already earned millions of sats, and the more value your listeners get out of your show, the more sats they’ll be willing to send you.
Fountain also allows podcasters to split payments among the contributors who made each episode possible. Podcasters can reward their guests, producers, and other contributors with a % split of the sats sent in by listeners.
Referring New Users to Fountain
Finally, Fountain has a referral program that allows anyone to stack sats for onboarding new users. The way it works is that each Fountain user has a referral code in their account settings, and if someone redeems your code you automatically earn 50% of their transaction fees for their first year.
Transaction fees on Fountain are 4% today, and are incurred when a user spends sats to support a podcast.
Where Does the Money Come From?
When listeners send sats to your show or ‘like’ your clips and comments, they’re paying with their own money as appreciation for your content.
Fountain also earns advertising revenue and fees on various transactions on their platform, and that money is then used to pay users who listen to podcasts.
The money that podcasters and advertisers spend on their promotions is also passed along to listeners as an additional sats reward.
Tips and Tricks
- When you’re earning sats for listening to a podcast, you can see how much you’re earning each minute by pressing the spinning earning icon at the top of the podcast player
- If you are a guest on a podcast, ask the host beforehand to set up their show to receive sats, and add you to their show splits.
- If you are a podcast host, consider asking your audience in each episode to send sats if they enjoy your content. This nudge can meaningfully increase the number of payments listeners send you.
- Podcast hosts should also consider mentioning the paid messages that listeners send to their show. This level of engagement with listeners is a great way to get more supporters contributing sats.
- For up-and-coming podcasters, Fountain promotions are an incredibly efficient tool for getting new listeners. Some podcasters are paying as little as $0.01 for each new listener on their show, and these listeners are often willing to spend sats in return as appreciation for your content.